Summer: Vacations, Family & Intrusion?
July! School’s out for Summer! Just the idea of summertime can brighten someone’s mood. Summer means no school, more vacations, relaxation, time with family and just an overall slower pace than we are used to! Unfortunately, this leaves us with higher risk for home intrusion.
Here are our top 5 tips for securing your home for your upcoming vacation:
1) Remove any and all house keys that are hidden outside your home.
2) Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your house & collect your mail while you are gone. Have them notify you if anything seems suspicious.
3) Set up motion sensors on all outdoor lighting.
4) Additionally, set timers on some of your indoor lights. This will leave the impression that someone is always in your home, and will deter anyone trying to break-in.
5) The last, and one of the most important tips is to avoid posting about your trip on social media until you return! Many times, home invaders are people we know and trust. If they see you are away on Facebook, your house becomes an easy target.
In the summertime, homes are left empty more frequently, doors are left unlocked & garages are left open. All of the small details a household pays attention to all year, get pushed under the rug. (no pun intended!) Set your self up for a successful vacation, while keeping your home safe by paying attention to home safety precautions.